Search This Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Bangkok - Skytrain and Cruise to Khao San Road


BTS SkytrainBTS Skytrain
BTS Skytrain

Get used to lots of stairs if you use Skytrain

Sightseeing on the Chao Phraya River - from Silom to Khao San Road



Seeing I have recovered from yesterday's hangover it was time to hit the water and take a cruise down the Chao Phraya River, the main water way in Bangkok. 

As I have conquered the Skytrain system it was off to the Chong Nonsi Station around the corner from my hotel, purchased a Smartcard which cost me 360 baht - 30 baht deposit - 30 baht for the card and I added 300 baht which can be topped up for five years with the stored value lasting two years. This saves the hassle of finding 5 and 10 baht coins everytime you take a Skytrain trip. 

The Central Pier is two Skytrain stops away at Saphan Taskin. This is where it got confusing as there are not any signs in english to explain how to buy your ferry ticket. There are two ferries, the Tourist Ferry and the Express Ferry. The Tourist Ferry is good as there is a guide explaining the sightseeing available at each of the ferry stops. These include the Grand Palace, Flower Markets, China Town and the main temples where you can 
Central PierCentral Pier
Central Pier

Ready to take my first cruise on the Chao Phraya
see the Reclining Buddha etc. There was a booth for the Tourist Ferry and they were only interested in selling 100 baht tickets for a day pass. Next to them were two ladies sitting at a small table selling the cheaper 18 baht tickets for a one way trip. I wanted to go to Pier 13 and walk around to see Khao San Road, famous as the main back packer area and infamous for some of it's travel agencies. It doesn't matter if you buy a ticket here as you can just jump on any of the ferrys and buy a ticket on board. Similar to the Skytrain it is easy once you have tried the system once. 

Anyway I went on board the Tourist Ferry and it was a really enjoyable trip to Pier 13. A great way to see Bangkok from another viewpoint. 

Once at Pier 13 it is easy to find Khao San Road as long as you have a map. Just turn right after leaving the Pier and follow the road around till you reach a bridge, there are signs directing you to Khao San Road. Follow the road around to the left, about 
Central Pier  Ticket BoothCentral Pier  Ticket Booth
Central Pier Ticket Booth

Just go to the ladies at the table on the right if you don't need a more expensive day pass at the main booth
a 1km walk. Beware if you look at your map too much as the taxi touts will be after you, or even if you don't I reckon I had six have a go at me, annoying but par for the course here. Khao San Road certainly stands out with all the shopping signs and street vendors. I walked from one end to the other, went around the corner to see the Victory Monument and then went looking for "Oh My Cod" restaurant in the Rambuttri Village on Soi Rambuttri. I must be improving my navigation skills, found it easily. If you walk to the end of Khao San road just turn left and then left again when you see the Soi Rambuttri sign. Follow the road around all the way, to be honest this street is just as interesting as Khao San Road. All I can say about "Oh My Cod" is that it is in a very nice shady setting but the service was slow and I recommend you stick with their Thai food as the fish and chips were very ordinary. I have learnt my lesson, Thai food only from here on in unless I go to Maccas 
Tourist FerryTourist Ferry
Tourist Ferry

All aboard - watch out for the splash from the polluted water
after a few Leo beers the night before. 

While waiting for the boat back to Central Pier I met a man from Sydney who had retired to live in Thailand with his friend. They told me to take a ferry trip further up the river and see how the Thais live on the river front. Maybe another day, it's damn hot and I am ready to veg out at my hotel for a few hours. 

The cost of todays tour was 36 baht (A$1.80) for the return cruise and 190 baht for lunch. About A$10 all up for a very enjoyable day out. Allow about 3-5 hours if you do this trip for the first time from Silom area. Also had breakfast for two at The Silom Village earlier today for 230 baht which is about A$9, very nice outdoor setting in the shade and just shows the good value we get for our money here. 

Tonight's meal was Pad See Eaw - stir fried rice noodles with shrimps - 125 baht - very good 

No comments:

Post a Comment